Reflective roof coatings provide excellent benefits due to their ability to reflect the sun’s heat away from the building. This article will focus on the importance of reflectivity; however, keep in mind that choosing a reflective roof coating system over traditional roofing also saves building owners and facility maintenance managers time and money and these coating systems provide contractors with ease of installation. You can get a roof coating system that meets and exceeds rigorous standards set by ASTM, AIA, FM, ICC-ES, UL, ENERGY STAR, CRRC, Miami-Dade County and LEED. Click here for the AcryShield product line list of credentials and ratings.
The main benefit of using a reflective roof coating is its capability to cool and protect the surface of the roof by blocking the majority of UV rays (heat) from being absorbed into the roof. Because these coatings do this, they can also:
- Decreases roof surface temperature by more than 50˚F according to an article the US Department of Energy wrote, Guidelines for Selecting Cool Roofs.
- Lowers electrical costs used to air condition the building
- Improves indoor comfort by reducing the ambient air temperature inside the building up to 6 degrees according to RCMA (Roof Coating Manufacturer’s Association)
- Improves R-value for better insulation or resistance to heat flow transfer
- Increases the efficiency and lifespan of your HVAC units
- Prevents and protects against premature degradation and aging caused by high surface temperatures on the roof - fun fact - the sun’s heat is the #1 cause of premature roof failure.
- Lengthened roof life-cycle
- Reduced roof maintenance costs
- Provides 100% sustainability and renewability
- Environmentally safe and friendly – reduces landfill waste, ultra low or zero VOC’s, reduces energy consumption and costs and does not require a costly roof tear-off
Learn more about reflective roof coatings; download our Free Guide to Roof Coatings – Cool Roof Buyer’s Guide.