The rooftop is often unseen, making it easy to forget or avoid. However, if you conduct a roof inspection before the wet months arrive and before the hot summer months each year, you can prevent many issues that lead to roof failure. **If your roof system is under a manufacturer’s warranty at present, these bi-annual inspections are required as part of the obligation between the parties named on the face of the warranty document and must be documented in writing with verifiable dates, times and photographic confirmation of damage and repairs of same. The repairs must be made by the manufacturer’s approved contractor in good standing with the manufacturer. Otherwise you risk voiding the entire warranty. Unfortunately this is known as a “walkaway clause” in the roofing industry. **
Below is a list of 6 common roofing issues that could occur to your rooftop this year. When these issues are handled and dealt with, major repair is typically not necessary. On the other hand, when they are avoided and overlooked, a costly and timely roof repair project could be waiting for you when that first rainstorm passes through.
1. Ponded Water: This roof has a large area of ponded water, which can cause the surface to delaminate, blister, peel, and compromise adhesion of the roofing system to the building’s substrate. You will need to address this issue if it has begun to occur, and fix it immediately. The AcryShield SPF Roofing System can eliminate drainage issues by adding custom slope to your roof in areas where ponded water typically occurs.
2. Impacted or Clogged Drainage: At this point, a plumber is recommended to unclog the drain and the ponded water area needs to be inspected to make sure no further damage has occurred. (See Ponded Water above more information.)
3. Large Blister: Blisters can occur because of several reasons, including: adhesion issues, ponded water, aging membrane and more. They need to be fixed immediately as water penetration is very likely. Contact one of our Roofing Professionals with zero obligation to determine your next steps to restoring your current roof.
4. Debris from Overhanging Trees: This is a simple, yet common oversight that needs to be addressed. Branches can cause abrasion to the surface of the roof and should be trimmed away. Ensure the rooftop is clean and free from any leaves, broken branches etc… which if ignored can create clogged drains and ponding water.
5. Mastic Cracking at Pipe Jack: Water penetration is likely to occur when seals are failing and not functioning as designed. All areas on the roof around joints and flashings need to be inspected to ensure seals are properly working – have good flexibility (not brittle), adhesion, and water resistance.
6. Plant Growth: Weeds, trees, and plants can grow out of the smallest cracks in the sidewalk and along roads. Your roof is no different. You want to remove any form of plant growth immediately as this can cause many different issues (improper drainage, damage from roots, inadequate adhesion, ponded water, etc…) to your roofing membrane that would require a flat roof repair project to be crucial.
**DO NOT SIMPLY PULL plant growth from the roof surface as the roots usually have penetrated the surface of the assembly and by removing incorrectly can cause severe damage that can increase the otherwise inexpensive repair. Have a roofing professional do this removal. **
Contact National Coatings if your roof is experiencing any or all of these situations. We can provide you with a cost savings solution that will allow you to restore and maintain your current roof, avoiding a costly and timely roof tear-off. For more information, download our Free Systems Brochure.