There are a few important weather conditions to consider before applying a roof coating system to your building in the winter and shoulder seasons. These requirements include:
- Always check weather conditions before application and never apply if rain is anticipated within 24 to 48 hours.
- Air temperatures should be at a minimum of 55˚F with temperatures expected to rise for the following 24 hours. This includes temperatures during nighttime.
- Apply the roof coating system in the early morning, finishing early into the afternoon to allow for a minimum of four hours of sunlight for the coating or sealants to cure.
Areas such as California, Hawaii, Texas, Arizona and Florida often have warm winter temperatures averaging between 60˚F to 90˚F in January. As long as these temperatures do not drop below 55˚F during the evening and rain is not expected, these weather conditions are acceptable for installing a roof coating system during the winter.
While weather conditions and temperature need to be ideal before application begins, it is also important to keep in mind:
- Base and top coats need 8 to 24 hours to dry completely (this is dependent on weather conditions). No roof coating systems shall be applied if weather will not permit it to dry prior to exposure to precipitation or freezing.
- Dew and fog can interfere with and damage coatings from properly curing.
- Coatings must be stored between 40˚F – 90˚F. Do not leave coatings or sealants on the rooftop if temperatures are expected to drop below 45˚F.
National Coatings has a full line of Quick Set roof coatings that are uniquely formulated to allow you to work in the "shoulder" season. The AcryShield Quick Set base and topcoats sets up rapidly and provide assurance to building owners and contractors that no early wash-off associated with heavy dew and light rain will occur. These coatings can be applied on virtually any roofing substrate including: Asphalt, BUR, Mod Bit, Concrete, Single-Plies, Hypalon, EPDM, TPO, PVC, and Metal.
Don’t let light rain and heavy dew stop you! Download our Free Quick Set Brochure Today!