- Durability – How well does it resist the effects of UV degradation from the sun? In order for your roof to withstand damaging and harmful UV rays, it needs to be durable. Acrylic roof coatings are resilient, the acrylic used in a roof coating is the same that is used in exterior sealants, Plexiglas®, industrial coatings, house paints and more. They are very durable, providing excellent UV protection.
- Low temperature flexibility – Is the coating able to remain flexible at cold temperatures? If the roof is in North Dakota where the temperatures are very cold during fall and winter, the coating must be able to tolerate movement without becoming brittle or cracking. We recommend reviewing roof coating product data sheets to ensure the coating you choose can withstand the temperatures in your climate.
- Dirt pickup resistance – An acrylic roof coating provides excellent energy cost savings due to its ability to reflect the sun’s heat away from the building. The whiter and cleaner the rooftop remains, the better it is able to reflect the heat. Therefore, choosing a coating with dirt pickup resistance, will allow the roof to remain whiter for longer, resisting dirt from sticking to the surface, allowing the coating to perform to its fullest capability.
- Adhesion – Coatings are created to adhere to particular roof substrates. It is important to choose a coating that is design to adhere to your particular substrate whether it be aged metal, BUR, cap sheet, EPDM, TPO, PVC, Hypalon, etc…
- Ponded water resistance – How well does the coating adhere after long term submersion in puddles on the roof? Many roofs have areas where ponded water sits on the roof until it dries out. These areas can cause blisters, delamination and other issues if the coating cannot withstand being submersed in water for an extended period of time.
Look into the AcryShield acrylic roof coating line to find the ideal coating for your roof substrate. These roof coatings provide superior and long lasting durability, adhesion, dirt pickup resistance, flexibility and much more. Download our Free Product Brochure for more information.