Roof inspections are important for ensuring your rooftop is functioning properly and will help lower roof maintenance costs down the road. Preventative roof maintenance helps prolong the lifespan of your roof, providing a greater return on your investment. We recommend completing the following 8 steps to confirm your roof is operating as desired:
- Remove any debris on the rooftop. The roof has many locations that are ideal for gathering debris such as pipes, skylights, pitch pans, HVAC units, etc… It is important to remove any debris such as leaves, trash, branches, rocks, etc… because they trap and hold water, promoting ponded water and early roof deterioration.
- Unclog all drains. Make sure all drainage systems are open and functioning appropriately. It is a good idea to test them by pouring water down each one as a clogged drain causes deterioration, ponded water, and possible leaks.
- Check your gutters. Clear them of debris and anything that would prohibit them from functioning properly.
- Inspect the roof surface for blisters and/or delamination. If you see these, we suggest you call National Coatings for a professional roof inspection. Contact us for advice from a roof coating profession - no obligation to buy!
- Check the entire roof surface for any deterioration, holes, mechanical abuse areas, defects, and/or separation - pay attention to stains and discoloration of the roof edges and surrounding walls as they are possible indications of a leak - if you experience any of these failures, contact usand consider an AcryShield Roof Maintenance (ARM) System, so you don't have to replace and tear-off your roof later - this will save you thousands of dollars. Download more information on our Roof Maintenance and Roof Restoration Systems, here!
- Carefully inspect all joints. Make sure joints at wall and equipment base flashings and near pipe penetrations are undamaged, watertight and intact.
- Make sure sealants and caulking are effectively working. If you are looking for a premium quality sealer, learn more about AcryFlex. It is an elastomeric acrylic sealant that provides a water-based, sealant that is engineered for long-term flexibility, adhesion and weather resistance.
- Maintain your Landscaping - Trim back and remove any trees near your roof to avoid excess debris and/or penetrations to your roof surface.
Spending a few minutes on your roof every six months, making sure everything is working properly, will prevent the need to perform costly repairs. Ignoring a small roofing issue can easily turn into a large expense. For more information or advice on your particular roof – contact us today – we are here to help!