Size: 17,000 Square Feet
Location: Mountain View, California
Contractor: Inland Pacific Roofing
- Cleaned the roof using a pressure washer to optimize coating application.
- The roof was coated with two coats of AcryShield A500 roof coating - Forming a fully adhered, self-flashing membrane over the existing, previously coated roof.
- Walk pads were installed around hatches and rooftop ventilator units by fully adhering them with National Coatings AcryFlex® sealant to protect the roof from potential damage caused by workers of other trades.
Life Cycle Cost & Savings
- Original EPDM roof was installed at an approximate cost of $51,000.
- Original coating with AcryShield was done 8 years later at an approximate cost of $34,000.
- Re-coated with AcryShield 10 years later at an approximate cost of $49,000.
- RESULTS: The annual cost for the roof was only $0.44 per square foot per year. If the original roof was recovered with the original membrane, the cost would have been $85,000. If the two roofs were removed when the re-coat occurred, as required by new building codes and replaced, the cost would be $102,000. Thus the cost would be $0.78 per square food per year. This is a savings of $0.33 per square foot per year or 56% over the 18 year life.
- National Coatings' AcryShield ARM Roofing System is a cost effective method for long term roof asset management.
- The use of roof maintenance coatings can indefinitely defer re-roofing and the even higher cost of tear-off and replacement.
- In this case, the ARM roof life cycle cost was 56% lower than the traditional re-roofing option.
- This roof is a classic example of Sustainability: A roofing system that is designed, constructed, maintained, rehabilitated and demolished with an emphasis throughout its life cycle on using natural resources efficiently and preserving the global environment.